Git credential helpers
This page lists available credential helpers.
Included in Git
- git-credential-store: saves credentials in plaintext.
- git-credential-cache: holds credentials temporarily in process memory. Not available on Windows. (Note that since credentials are lost when the cache expires or system restarts, this is inconvenient to store long-lived personal access tokens.)
Platform specific storage
- git-credential-osxkeychain: stores in macOS keychain. Included in macOS Git installations.
- git-credential-libsecret: stores in Linux secret service such as GNOME Keyring or KDE Wallet. Packaged in many Linux distributions.
- git-credential-wincred: stores in Windows Credential Manager. Included with Git for Windows.
The following cross-platform helpers support authentication using OAuth. Initial authentication opens a browser window to the host. Subsequent authentication happens in the background.
- Git Credential Manager: included with Git for Windows. Supports multiple credential stores.
- git-credential-oauth: included in many Linux distributions.
- git-credential-gopass: stores in gopass password manager.
- git-credential-lastpass: stores in LastPass password manager.
- git-credential-1password: stores in 1Password password manager.
- git-credential-keepassxc: stores in KeePassXC password manager.